March 1, 2017|Dr.Madhu
Abhyanga is the Sanskrit term for the ancient Ayurvedic practice of full body oil massage. It is just one part of the morning Ayurvedic routine known as dinacharya that is recommended for all healthy individuals & kids included. The skin is the largest organ of the body, so it makes perfect sense that it would be used as another tool for better health. For me, abhyanga is one of the most important practices that I do daily and it sets the tone for my entire day. Depending on the prakriti (constitution) of person different oil are chosen.
Benefits of Abhyanga
- Calms the nerves
Abhyanga is great for calming and soothing the entire nervous system. It gives more mental clarity and improves sleep. Research has proven abhyanga’s ability to decrease stress hormones in just one session. The more often you do it, the greater the effect will be. You may notice a general sense of peace and tranquility, even amid the hectic goings-on of day-to-day life. Abhyanga can help us maintain more clarity and calmness if faced with difficult situations or decisions.
- Increases levels of stamina and alertness throughout the day
A great and often unsung benefit of self-massage with herbal massage oils is increased energy and stamina throughout the day. This results because the massaging action boosts the metabolism, helps nourish and replenish skin tone and muscles, tunes up the functioning of internal organs and optimizes the body's ability to flush and remove toxins; and, if that weren’t enough right there, also revitalizes and energizes the cells of the body & aids in healing minor cuts and abrasions.
- Better, deeper sleep at night
If you’re having trouble sleeping, abhyanga is great to do shortly before bed. Grab your favorite aromatic massage oil, and take some extra time in the evening to wind down and luxuriate in a warm-oil massage followed by a warm bath.
- Detox & healthy weight management
Performing abhyanga on a daily basis is a great way to detoxify. Massaging with warm oil helps loosen toxins from the soft tissues in the body, allowing them to be removed by the elimination systems of our bodies. If we take advantage of this benefit and follow it up with daily exercise, then abhyanga can support healthy weight management in addition to being an effective daily detox. Abhyanga complements a daily workout by toning the muscles and getting the blood circulating.
- Medicated oil possesses antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. This means it will help protect against common skin pathogens such as staphylococcus, streptococcus and athlete’s foot.
- Oil helps joints keep their flexibility and builds strength in the body. With the ability to nourish the joints, bones and muscles, it can give relief for those with osteoarthritis.
- Daily morning massage improves blood circulation, lymphatic flow and removes any stagnancy that occurred during the night. Proper functioning and movement of these systems is important for a robust immune system.
- By making this practice of self-care a priority, we are essentially saying to ourselves and to those close to us that yes, we deserve to be cared for, nourished and loved. It may feel new at first, but the more we prioritize our needs and wants, the easier finding “me time” will become. All those other things we need to do will still happen; the difference is now they’ll get done from a place of greater calmness. In relationships, two people can bring to the table only what they have inside, and the more we have to give, the more the relationship flourishes. When both can give, the relationship grows. The more we radiate self-love and self-respect, the more outside respect and love comes our way.