January 1, 2017 | Dr. Madhu
· The forehead is the seat of Ajna Chakra, and any dysfunction there leads to a variety of disorders.
· Shirodhara is a form of Ayurveda therapy that involves pouring warm liquids gently over the forehead. The name comes from the Sanskrit words Shira (head – although in this case it is the forehead) and Dhara(flow).
· The liquids includes oils (Thailadhara), Milk (Ksheeradhara), Buttermilk (Takradhara) or Kashayam or Ayurvedic Concoctions (Kashayadhara).
· The liquid is poured in an alternating pattern from a particular height and for a specific amount of time in a continuous stream onto the forehead, and then allowed to run over the scalp and through the hair in a soothing rhythm.
How does Shirodhara work?
· According to Ayurveda three forces – Vata, Pitta & Kapha – govern the human biological processes. The permutations of these determinants could vary in each person but a harmony of them is essential for overall health.
· Ayurveda believes that the cure is in restoring the physiological and psychic balance of the patient.
· Sufficient supply of oxygen and a regulated blood circulation is key for our psychic and nervous system to work properly. In fact, for the whole body to work in a synchronized manner with the signals to and from the brain through the network of nerves.
· Shirodhara, a major part of Panchakarma(Detoxification) treatment helps clear the nervous and blood circulatory tracts in our body, and with better blood circulation the brain gets greater supply of oxygen.
· Shirodhara is used to treat a number of disorders as well as for relaxing purposes. The diseases include insomnia, memory loss, premature greying of hair, eye diseases, hearing impairment, sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, skin disorder like psoriasis, and so on.
· Shirodhara also helps to soothe the mental disorders like anxiety, emotional imbalances, depression etc.